Dr. Rob’s Do It Yourself Super Sports Drinks
One of the most misleading industries is the Sports Drink Industry. The purpose of a sports drink is to replenish the electrolytes that can be lost during either intense or endurance training. However, as much as we may like to believe, the majority of us never engage in activity that is strenuous enough to deplete electrolytes to the point that would require the replenishing of base electrolytes and then we negate any of the positive effects of exercise by then consuming more calories in the sports drink than calories burned during exercise.
The major components of the majority of sports drinks is high fructose corn syrup, water, salt, potassium citrate, sucralose, sodium citrate, malic acid, potassium phosphate, phenylalanine, and minute amounts of B vitamins. Other than the B vitamins, none of the other components does your body require and when consumed in excess lead to weight gain and the lifestyle diseases. And in my medical opinion, these drinks are nothing more than “Junk Liquid”.
In general, consuming sports drinks after exercise lasting less than 60 minutes will only be counterproductive because you will most likely drink more calories than what you utilized during the exercise session. Your body is highly efficient at conserving electrolytes. Your best option and least expensive is to drink plenty of water before, during, and after any exercise session.
If you are seeking a healthier option, then try one of my Super Sports Drinks made with real fruit and herbs that will naturally replace your body’s fluids, improve your overall health, and keep money in your pocket.
Simply add several slices of any of the following fruits or vegetables to any amount of water and enjoy! Fruits like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and herbs like mint you will want to muddle first. To muddle means to press the ingredients against the side of the glass with a muddler so as to release all the nutrients and flavor into the water. Then enjoy all the health benefits of your own Super Sports Drink!
Lemon, Ginger & Mint Sports Drink
- Lemons are great for detoxifying the liver and are loaded with potassium. They help promote healthy ski
- Ginger will help sooth stomach discomfort and nausea and aids in muscle recovery and soreness. Ginger assists in the assimilation of vital nutrients, clears sinuses, and thins secretions. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory agent
- Mint is an herb that comes in several different varieties and helps eliminate toxins from the body, cleanses the stomach, and aids in digestion. Mint has a sweet flavor with a cooling after-sensation.
Orange Sports Drink
- Oranges are rich in potassium, which helps to maintain body fluid status and regulate blood pressure. Oranges are loaded with vitamin C & A which boosts the immune system and they are great at promoting healthy skin and reducing the signs of aging.
Cherry Sports Drink
- Cherries are also good source of minerals such as potassium, iron, zinc, copper and manganese. Potassium is a heart-healthy mineral; an important component of cell and body fluids that regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
- Scientific studies have shown that anthocyanins in the cherries are found to act like anti-inflammatory agents by blocking the actions of cycloxygenase-1 and 2 enzymes. Thus consumption of cherries has potential health effects against chronic painful episodes such as gout, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and can help to relieve sports related injuries.
Lime Sports Drink
- A super sports drink of water with lime juice in it is an excellent way to decrease unhealthy weight as well as a brilliant oral refresher and anti oxidant drink. The citric acid present in lime is an excellent fat burner and is loaded with Vitamin C. Lime juice is a fabulous digestive aid and also helps with arthritis, fatigue, urinary disorders, improves eyesight, and can relieve constipation.
Pineapple Sports Drink
- Pineapple is a rich source of vitamin C, sodium, potassium, and manganese, which helps your body recovery and produce energy. Pineapple also contains bromelain, which is a fantastic and powerful anti-inflammatory agent that can help you recovery from joint and muscle soreness.
Strawberry Sports Drink
- One of my favorite low sugar fruits, strawberries are a rich source of Vitamin A, C, and E and contain minerals such as potassium, manganese, iron, and iodine. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Strawberries are packed with vitamins, fiber, and particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols, strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food.
Cucumber Sports Drink
- Cucumbers are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes. Cucumbers are comprised of about 95% water and have antibacterial qualities. Cucumbers help promote overall heath, strengthen connective tissue and joints, and can relieve digestive disorders such as gastritis and constipation.
“Fitness is the Footprint of Life. Follow It!”
Dr. Rob Kominiarek, America’s Fitness Doctor®